Monday, December 24, 2012

On doing the dishes.

With holiday cooking in full swing, it seems every time I turn around there's another mountain of dishes in my sink.

I wrote this country western song in 2005, but lately it's been on my mind again, so I present it to you! Here, have some doggerel on a Monday morning. Merry Christmas if that is your thing; Happy New Year if that is; enjoy your winter as the days get slowly longer. May all your dishes be done by housekeeping elves.


A Sink Full of Dishes and a Heart Full of Sorrow
(to be sung with a twang, preferably by Jeannie C. Riley)

A sink full of dishes and a heart full of sorrow,
I should wash them tonight, but I'll wait till tomorrow. 

The water is dirty and my feeet will get tired,
my sink drain smells like milk that's expired. 

A sink full of dishes and a heart full of pain,
As soon as I wash them, they're dirty again. 

My fingers get wrinkly, my resolve comes unglued
when faced with the caked-on nasty old food. 

A sink full of dishes and a heart full of woe,
I'll let the mold flourish and allow it to grow. 

The water will splash and ruin my clothes.
The kitchen is tricky. I might stub my toes.

A sink full of dishes and a heart full of sorrow,
I should wash them tonight, but I'll wait till tomorrow. (2x)

No comments:

Post a Comment