- Friday Sync! A new checklist for a variety of weekly tasks organized into one session - syncing devices and calendars, preparing the week's to-do lists, meal planning, watering the plants, etc.
I have a checklist displayed vertically at my desk that reminds me every Friday (the day I work from home) I should do the following:
- Order my groceries for the week and plan what I will cook when.
- Use my Google calendar to make my daily To Do lists for the week.
- Transfer notes I've taken on my EPHEMERA sheet to wherever they should really go - this might involve sending emails, making calendar items, reserving library books, or placing To Do list items.
- Use my camera phone to take pictures of the attendance sheets and grade sheets for each of my classes. Yes, I still keep track of attendance and grades on paper.
- Sync my phone to my computer.
- Review my email inbox and then sync my Google Calendar and my Gmail account to my iCal and Mail programs on my computer.
- Plug in the external drive I use for computer back ups and run Time Machine.
- Water my plants. I only have plants that thrive on infrequent watering.
This is a numbered list because I do these things in this order on purpose. Syncing my phone AFTER taking a picture of each attendance sheet means that I have that information stored digitally in more than one place, for instance.
Since this is a standard part of my work week now, I never have to worry, OH GOD WHEN DID I LAST CREATE A BACK UP OF MY COMPUTER? I know it was Friday. I never have to think DO I HAVE ANY RECORD OF THIS ATTENDANCE SHEET THAT I SEEM TO HAVE MISPLACED? I know I do, as of Friday. And I usually find the attendance sheet under the syllabus anyway, but it is still nice to make that momentary panic as brief as possible.