Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Retraction

Remember a while ago when I wrote about doing the hundred push-ups program? And I said I'd be doing the same thing with slightly more advanced push-ups and also sit-ups? It turns out that was a bad idea.

I watched youtube videos about good form for sit-ups, and really didn't feel I was doing anything very strenuous. Yet, I have managed to injure myself. I sprained the ligament that goes down my spine on the right side (I had not realized this was possible), and now the right half of my upper body is in spasm. The left side doesn't feel so great either.

So now I am seeing a chiropractor three times a week until it stops hurting so much. He has given me stretches to do a couple times a day, and forbidden me to do any more push-ups or sit-ups until he says it is okay to start again. Alas.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! Leveling up with exercise is such a fine line, and sometimes the line between "that which will not kill me makes me stronger" and "well, that just killed me" is absolutely invisible until it's too late.

    ...Says someone whose achilles tendon (the OTHER one, of course) is causing a timeout from this fun let's-get-back-into-ballet regimen. And who did some scary damage to her mid and lower back with Pilates (combined with a really ill-fitting office chair) in the name of getting stronger.

    I hope you will heal well and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that was possible either. Hope doc fixes you quickly and you're able to get right back into it again.

    ReplyDelete