Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Into the Great Unknown; a.k.a. Blogging Next Year

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would appreciate your input.

This is my 48th blog post, which means that I am nearing the end of this year-long list-blogging experiment. I like having a Weekly Thing, though! I'd like to KEEP having a Weekly Thing next year.*

SO, folks, what should it be? These are my current contenders:


  • Take the "no new clothes" pledge for a year. I'd still buy used, and maybe handmade, but mostly I'd be swapping, mending, and making do. I would document alterations, acquisitions, and maybe outfits weekly.
  • Make a thing a week. Sometimes it would be a craft project, maybe sometimes a science experiment, maybe sometimes a writing exercise, maybe sometimes try a cooking technique I've never tried before; document what gets made.
  • Straight up, try at least one recipe I've never tried before once a week. 
  • Handwrite and illustrate a Book of Hours. Create a couple pages a week.  This is something I've been thinking of doing since Grad School studying Medieval manuscripts
  • Begin a personal book club - Commit to reading one classic I don't already know know each month; blog about my thoughts weekly. If anyone in the area wants to join in, we drink beer and eat cookies once a month and talk about the book when we finish it. 
Please leave your vote (or write in a different suggestion) in the comments! 



Clothes? Crafts? Foods? Something Bookish? 


* See this post on why my year ends and starts in the summer rather than on January 1.


12 comments:

  1. BOOK OF HOURS!! (Everything sounded really cool but since I love book art and just recently read A Canticle for Leibowitz, I am nearly bouncing in my chair at that idea.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's winning ... I'll have to figure out how to document it.

      Delete
  2. These are all wonderful ideas! Perhaps a pros and cons for how they would help you achieve goals to determine which is best?

    If not maybe the make one thing a week as that could bring aspects of food, clothing, and book of hours-ing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my goal is feel like my leisure time is goal-driven? I might end up doing more than one of these things ...

      Delete
  3. I like 2,3, and 5. Some weeks, your new recipe could incorporate an ingredient you've never tried or something seasonal. I may join your classic book club on occassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Maybe I'll try doing more than one.

      Delete
  4. I love the Book of Hours idea! The others are all also good ideas but more like extensions of things you already do regularly. (Hm this book club sounds like fun though..!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book of Hours sounds like an amazing project, but, well, it sounds like a PROJECT rather than a fun challenge. So it depends on what you want.

    I like the new recipe idea and I like the idea of reading through a bunch of books you've always meant to read. Both sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a good point. Perhaps I'll document the PROJECT elsewhere and leave this blog for just intermittent fun challenges ...

      Delete
  6. I vote recipes and/or books, leaning slightly more toward recipes.

    ReplyDelete